Since childhood, I have loved the calming ritual of tea time, therefore making my own Masala Chai is a labor of love that I enjoy to the fullest. This is my basic recipe (minus a few of my secret ingredients). I use whole, not ground spices and toast them at 325 for 8-10 minutes.
Once your toasted spices are cool, grind them. I use a Vitamix, but any spice grinder will work. Mix the Masala (spices) with the tea and add cacao, toasted coconut, or get creative if you wish.
Store your Chai in an airtight container. I use 1 tbsp per large cup of boiling water, then add sweetener (I prefer Stevia, Sbut you may perfer something else) and milk (I use almond, but coconut milk provides great richness).
- 1 1/2 Cups Mamri Tea (available on Amazon or at an Indian Grocery Store)
- 2 Tbsp Cardamom Pods (I use a combo of green and black)
- 4 Star Anise
- 6 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tsp Cloves
- 2 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Corriander seeds
- Dried Ginger to taste (I use whole and grind it in my vitamix)
- Optional Cacao, Coconut, or find your own secret ingredients (it's fun to personalize a recipe)